Alan Winston - SSRL Central Computing <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 12 Mar 2009 16:27:11 -0700
LISTSERV folks:

So I have a list configured like this:

*
* Supervisors at SSRL
*
* Subscription= By_owner
*
* Ack= No
*
* Confidential= Yes
*
* Validate= Yes,Confirm
*
* Reply-to= Sender,Respect
*
* Review= Service,private
*
* Send= Service,Confirm
*
* Errors-To= Owner
*
* Notebook= No
*
* Subject-Tag = M$SUPESSSRL
*
* Default-options= IETFhdr,Repro,NoAck
*
* .HH ON
*
* Owner= REDACTED
*
* Owner= [log in to unmask] (Alan Winston)
*
* Owner= REDACTED
*

(And the service is defined as SLAC.STANFORD.EDU)

A non-subscriber attempted to send something to the list.  According to the
LSV_SSRL.LOG:

11 Mar 2009 09:15:29 Processing file 57594 from [log in to unmask]
11 Mar 2009 09:15:29 Requesting confirmation, cookie=3C052D52, ID=020CB3
11 Mar 2009 09:15:29 Sent information mail to REDACTED

Things are complicated at the moment because my PMDF (mail server) logs show
the incoming mail from the non-subscriber, and an outgoing mail delivered to
the SMTP server for the non-subscriber, but the non-subscriber says she never
got anything back and thought her message was sent out, which it was not.

Q: None of the owners of the list were sent a confirmation request (per mail
server logs).  What, then, does LISTSERV mean by saying it was requesting
confirmation?  Is the "information mail" that comes next actually the
confirmation message?  (I would have thought that it would be a message saying
"your post to M$SUPESSSRL is awaiting confirmation.)

What I want is for the the list to bounce or drop on the floor all messages
from outside the SERVICE, but send confirmation requests to the first Owner
if there are messages from within the service.  That's what I thought I had,
but my confirmation request doesn't seem to be going anywhere.

Advice?

Thanks,

-- Alan

 Alan Winston --- [log in to unmask]
 Disclaimer: I speak only for myself, not SLAC or SSRL   Phone:  650/926-3056
 Paper mail to: SSRL -- SLAC BIN 99, 2575 Sand Hill Rd, Menlo Park CA   94025