"David M. Rosenberg" <[log in to unmask]>
Sun, 22 Apr 2001 23:15:48 EDT
I am active in the Boston chapter of an international organization. The
Boston chapter has a LISTSERV list. I have a set of E-Mail addresses
(supplied by the international organization) of the members who are
(believed to be) in the Boston area. I want to invite those people to
join the Boston chapter's LISTSERV list. I am considering creating a
DISTRIBUTE job to send out the invitation messages or creating a
separate list and just using it once to send out the invitations.

I am concerned that the E-Mail addresses that I received from the
international organization might have various problems (typos, changed
ISP, changed employment, etc.). I don't want to bother MIT's LISTSERV
postmasters with error messages about my bad addresses. I know that if I
were to create a separate list for the single "invitation" mailing, I
could control the contents of all of the Sender, From, and Reply-To
fields and although I couldn't control the RFC 821 MAIL FROM
(Return-Path) field, I can ensure that bounces to that address don't get
to the LISTSERV postmasters.

I see that with a DISTRIBUTE job I can control the contents of the From
and Reply-To fields. What about the Sender and RFC 821 MAIL FROM
(Return-Path) field of a DISTRIBUTE job. Can I control them? If so, how?
If not, where do they each point and how could I prevent incoming
messages to those addresses from going to the LISTSERV postmasters?

/David Rosenberg            [log in to unmask]            1-617-253-8054