Eric Thomas <ERIC@FRECP11>
Sat, 30 Jan 88 18:07:00 SET
I'm  a bit  worried  about this  prime  time aspect,  I mean,  how  can it  be
implemented? Given that:

- A global signoff operation is going to take a lot of CPU time anyway. You're
  going to be  presented with a few  hundred accounts to be  removed from your
  10-20 lists,  and it's probably  going to happen at  the same time,  give or
  take a few weeks, for all the US universities.

- There is no  way to hold a  global signoff DISTRIBUTE job  during prime time
  without improving DISTRIBUTE, that is DIST2,  and that you have a problem if
  one of the server in the path is not up to date, etc. I mean, I can hold the
  job during  prime time at the  source node. But  once it's sent, it  will be
  DISTRIBUTEd immediately by the other servers (again, unless a PRIME= keyword
  is added to DIST2).

- There is no problem about providing a PRIME= keyword on the SIGNOFF command,
  and maybe even forcing it on if the request is a SIGNOFF * and blah and etc.
  But  then you're  saying that  you're only  worried about  the CPU  time the
  SIGNOFF  itself will  take, not  the CPU  time required  for the  DISTRIBUTE
  operation.

We only have a choice between putting  the restriction in DIST2 and putting it
in SIGNOFF, which has to be updated anyway to provide a FOR option (you can of
course issue  200 FOR userid  SIGNOFF *, but a  single SIGNOFF *  FOR DD=NAMES
would allow  me to use a  more efficient algorithm  which would save a  lot of
CPU, and in this case the QUIET option could be honoured).

  Eric