Jason Filley <[log in to unmask]>
Sun, 19 Dec 1999 22:10:46 -0600
Greetings!

I didn't really want to jump in here, but I can't help myself.  Why exactly
are you allowing your users to access each other's personal files (viz.
bookmarks)?  Do you also allow them to access each other's mailboxes?  Is
your LISTSERV web-interface using an SSL connection?  Do you allow your
users to send SMTP mail commands to LISTSERV (I'd imagine so)?  Well, SMTP
travels in cleartext, so anyone on your network with a handy little sniffer
(NT's Network Monitor, for instance) can just sit there and watch the mail,
including passwords, flying over the network.  Where *exactly* is the
problem with bookmarks here?

From what you've said, it seems that your issue is that users in a poorly
secured environment can access each other's bookmarks (not LISTSERV's fault)
or that they can send their passwords to other people (not LISTSERV's
fault).  It looks to me as though you're just chasing windmills.  If your
list owners (or site manager, for that matter) can't be trusted to not send
passwords to large groups of strangers then don't make them owners.

And I've taken your advice and looked at it -- I've looked at it for 1 1/2
years now.  It works fine.

regards,
jason