Eric Thomas <ERIC@FRECP11>
Sat, 10 Oct 1987 22:37 SET
  In 1.5m, address  case handling will be done in  one single place (LSVNADDR)
for all the commands. I have found that there were errors in the case handling
of some commands, which  did not check the length of the  userid or the length
of the node  or etc. So I've placed  the test in a new exec  which gets called
whevever  required. You  can  make local  mods  there if  needed  but I  don't
recommend  it. I  especially don't  recommend playing  with the  case of  peer
addresses. Some modules still have their own tests, mainly because they're not
interested in  upcasing the  address: they  just need to  know whether  it's a
BITNET person or not.  PUT commands will probably take a  bit longer for lists
since LSVSORT was changed to call LSVNADDR too (in case you have a local mod).

  LSVCKPRV (which had been started in  1.5l I think) has been greatly enhanced
to  support list-based  commands  authority and  password  validation. I  have
modified all  the list-based commands  to make use  of this new  things, which
gives  you  STANDARD and  USER-FRIENDLY  messages  (like  it tells  you  which
passwords it wants if  you gave an incorrect one or  omitted it), whereas each
command  had its  own private  original variation  on the  message text.  Most
list-based commands also  allow you to specify your personal  password (if you
have one) instead of the list password.  When the command is a global one, the
list password  is substituted internally  after the  test has been  made. Note
that this does NOT mean that list passwords no longer have a reason to be. But
you can tell LISTSERV "I don't remember my list password but YOU do, so please
supply it to your peers for me; here's my personal password for you to check".
Several non-list based commands were also  converted. The PUT function was NOT
changed and does NOT work with  the personal password yet. File-based commands
call LSVCKFAC which  does its own checking  and has its own  error messages, I
still don't know if I'll change it or not.

  Today was  a big  marathon where I  have changed over  half of  the LISTSERV
EXECs. I have probably  made a number of typos or  confusions (most execs have
the same  naming conventions for  variables and  routines, but there  are some
deviations in a few cases -  like sending messages to 'destination' instead of
'origin' in LSVREV),  and there's no way  I can test each and  every option of
each list-based  command, both  from a  local and a  remote userid,  both with
validate= all  and store only,  both with a passwordless  list and one  with a
genuine password,  both with the list  password and a personal  password, both
from an authorized  (both postmaster and owner) userid and  a Joe userid, etc.
I'd rather write a description of LISTSERV in french with drawings for my boss
than  do that  (apart from  the 3812  header pages  and accounting  stuff, she
doesn't know what  it does and has asked  me for a memo several  times but I'm
getting old and my  memory is failing me :-) ). In  other words, I'll probably
prepare a  beta shipment  sometime next  week (with the  database stuff  in it
too), sites willing to test it should send me mail before, say, tuesday.

  Eric