Danny Lee <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 17 Jan 2001 18:53:01 -0800
On Wed, Jan 17, 2001 at 05:02:08PM -0800, Danny Lee ([log in to unmask])
said:
> I have a request from the owner of an internal list. He would like to have
> each of the members of the list individually shown as recipients in the
> headers of messages distributed to the list, rather than just seeing the
> name of the list on the TO: line. Is there any way to do that? I don't see
> anything in the admin manual that might do it.... (Yes, he does have a
> reason...:-)

Jim Toth asked:
>>I can't think of a way to do it off the top of my head, but I'm
>>curious enough to ask what the reason is.

The list is confidential; it is also has a fairly dynamic membership; users
can request to subscribe, but subscriptions require list owner approval. The
owner wants to be sure everyone who receives a message knows who else has
received it, and they can't tell if they just receive standard LISTSERV
headers...

:-)

Another list member provided this cautionary information, so beware....

Note the problems sending a separate RFC822 RCPT TO: to subscribers:

>FULL822      Essentially the same as  "full" mail  headers, but with  the
>             important difference that  the recipient's email address  is
>             specified in the  "To:"  line  rather   than  the  address
>             of the list. "FULL822" headers should  be used  with extreme
>             caution, as  they cause LISTSERV to create a separate mail
>             envelope with a single RFC822 RCPT TO: for  each address  so
>             set. This behavior can significantly affect  the performance
>             of both LISTSERV and of your external mail system.
>
>SHORT822     Essentially  the same  as "short" mail  headers, with  the
>             same caveats as noted for FULL822.

Thanks All!
Danny