Paul Russell <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 15 Nov 2005 10:11:17 -0500
On 11/14/2005 22:49, Andrew Bosch wrote:
> We haven't noticed, but then our mail volume is not as great as Notre
> Dame's. Perhaps it is possible to split the WA from the Listserv
> installation and have it run on another host?

I believe this suggestion has been offered in the past, and I believe that
the response has always been that it is not possible to do this. The problem
is not that the server is overloaded; the problem appears to be two-fold:
(1) everything must go through lsv and lsv is single-threaded, and (2) inbound
messages in the listserv/spool directory are given precedence over pending web
requests.

The rationale for X-SPAM jobs is no longer valid. Spammers used to send
hundreds, even thousands of messages with the same sender address, so
blocking or quarantining all messages with a sender address seen on spam
was effective. Spammers' techniques have changed, but LISTSERV is still
using the same old model that used to work "back in the old days". I think
it is time to review that model to determine whether it is still valid in
the current spam environment. It appears to me that the cost of this
feature significantly outweighs the benefit. Does anyone share this view?

--
Paul Russell
Senior Systems Administrator