Ben Parker <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 2 May 2005 12:23:03 -0600
=== Forwarded Message ===
(Note from the List Owner:   I am forwarding his message to the list on
Bill's behalf, since the actions described in another email have resulted
in his From: address becoming spam-quarantined at all LISTSERV sites
world-wide for the next 48 hours or so.)

To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: X- SPAM jobs: Is the cure worse than the disease?
From: Bill Verity <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Mon, 2 May 2005 12:28:36 -0400

We've had the same problem on our site from time-to-time.  I'm hoping 14.3
will help with the spam problem.  Several weeks ago, our server generated
850 spam jobs.  Each one creates 162 jobs for 244 recipients.  I have a task
I run every 15 minutes to watch for this.  It deleted over 90,000 x-spam
mail files that day just to try to keep up.  List owners were screaming
since their mail was held up for hours.

At 3:13 PM -0500 4/29/05, Paul Russell wrote
>Once upon a time, spammers sent messages to hundreds, even thousands of
>recipients with the same sender address on each message. In that environment,
>blocking messages from the sender address used by the spammer was an effective
>way to block spam, and X-SPAM jobs enabled LISTSERV backbone servers to share
>information about known spammers.

Whoever said you can't buy happiness forgot about puppies.

Bill Verity - 814-865-4758  Fax: 814-863-7049
215A Computer Building - Information Technology Services, Penn State
University
At the office - on my Mac, of course ;-)