Jeff Kell <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 29 Jan 2007 13:30:27 -0500
Had a question from a confused list owner, related to a question from a confused list subscriber :-)

The question arose on an web archive search of a list that goes back into the 1990s:

> For instance, if you search for "daylight", you get messages in the
> last millennium only.  If you want more recent messages, you have to
> specify a "since" date, but even that doesn't work as expected.  If
> you specify since 2001-01-01, then you only get messages from 2001.
> To see 2006 messages, you have to specify 2006-01-01.

After checking for myself, it appears the user didn't try the "more hits" to keep looking.  But the returned results are a bit confusing and not exactly intuitive (to me, maybe it's some personal setting I've forgotten).

The "pages" of search results are returned in chronological order (oldest to newest).

The individual items of each page are presented in reverse chronological order (newest to oldest).

I would expect the order to be consistent.  Bug or feature?

Jeff