Greg Kroll <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 19 Nov 1993 11:40:35 EST
On Fri, 19 Nov 1993 10:38:33 EST Sathaye, Shashi said:
>For reasons unknown to me, sometimes it will get an entry like
>listowner@ukcc useraddress username
>and then mail from the listowner will start showing useraddress username
>as part of listowner's name in mail headers.
>How and why does signup file get corrupted like this?
>Is there a command to reset it - I do not like the option of editing it
>by hand.
>Thanks in advance.

I've seen this many times and it always (I believe) turns out to be a
botched "add" command from the list owner.  The way I fix it is to use
the "register off" command for the userid with the bogus name then
restart LISTSERV which will clean up the SIGNUP FILE2 file automatically.
If the list owner wants they can then do a "register <full-name>", to
restore their correct name.

--Greg Kroll