Nathan Brindle <[log in to unmask]>
Sun, 20 Mar 2005 22:24:32 -0500
At 12:58 AM 3/20/2005 -0600, you wrote:
>This is because Listserv sends its posts as a single message with multiple
>recipients.  Is there any way to have the engine instead send the single
>message 150 times to each of my list members?  Seems like the manual is
>silent on this configuration change.

Not really silent, just not fond of the idea.  You can set everyone on the
list to the deprecated (but still documented) FULL822 personal option and a
separate SMTP envelope is generated for each address.  This is deprecated,
however, because it significantly slows things down, particularly if the
outbound SMTP server is optimised for BSMTP.

The problem is really not with LISTSERV, though.  The IIS SMTP engine
shouldn't be trying to throw errors back in the middle of a BSMTP
transaction.  From LISTSERV's perspective, a well-behaved SMTP server
should accept the BSMTP transaction as a unit and send delivery errors back
only after the entire transaction is finished.  LISTSERV is not a
full-featured SMTP server; its function is to hand off mail in bulk to a
full-featured SMTP server for delivery, and it is not designed to handle
errors generated "on the fly" in the middle of a BSMTP transaction.

Some SMTP servers can be configured not to do this sort of thing (for
instance, sendmail often is configured by default to do canonicalization of
addresses on the fly, which doesn't play well with LISTSERV, but you can
turn that off by adding FEATURE(`nocanonify') in sendmail.mc).  However, I
don't know if the IIS server can be reconfigured not to throw delivery
errors during an SMTP conversation or not.

I'm sure you'll find quite a bit of art on this subject in the archives of
this list, though.

Nathan