Thu, 4 Apr 1996 00:38:36 EST
After some false starts, I've concocted a method to make a set of
LISTSERV archives not associated with any active list accessible via
  a)  LISTSERV GET
  b)  LISTSERV LDBASE selective search
  c)  anonymous FTP
  d)  WWW (using Webshare)
I'm writing this up in the expectation that it may be useful to others
and for myself so I won't have to figure it out again.

The specific context was as follows:  PIPORG-L@ALBNYVM1 (== piporg-l@
albany.edu) is a fairly high-volume list that typically accumulates 30
cylinders of log files each year.  For reasons not relevant here, I
moved the 1993 and the 1994 archives each to separate minidisks LISTSERV
1993 and LISTSERV 1994, respectively.  In doing so, however, I subverted
both the LISTSERV GET and LDBASE search capabilities since (as far as I
know), notebooks cannot span multiple disks.

Since LISTSERV owns these disks, when they are set up, the following
entries appear in LISTSERV's CP directory entry:

* 1993, 1994:  FTPable PIPORG-L archives.
MDISK 1993 3380 745 14 VMS922 MR ALL
MDISK 1994 3380 280 35 USR001 MR ALL

To restore the GET and search functions (let's talk about the 1993
archives in particular), I renamed the log files in LISTSERV 1993 from
PIPORG-L LOGyymmw to PIPORG93 LOGyymmw.  Then I created a new CP
directory entry for PIPORG93 that reads:

USER PIPORG93 NOLOGON
* This is a LISTSERV discussion list and has no resources of its own.
SPOOL 00C 2540 R
LINK LISTSERV 1993 191 RR

Next I created a new LISTSERV list called PIPORG93:

*  Pipe Organs and Related Topics 1993 Archives
*
*  Subscription= Closed
*  Files= Yes
*  Confidential= Yes
*  Notebook= Yes,X1/1993,Weekly,Public
*  Owner= BEC@ALBNYVM1 (Ben Chi)
*
*  This is a dummy list whose sole purpose is to make the 1993 archives
*  searchable using LDBASE.
*
* PW= FOOBAR

So far, LISTSERV 1993 contains only the log files.  But an LDBASE
ALBNYVM1 followed by a SELECT * in PIPORG93 will cause the database
pointers to be built, after which, both the LISTSERV GET and LDBASE
search functions are ready for use.

Because PIPORG93's CP directory entry links LISTSERV 1993 as its 191
disk, and because this disk has (in LISTSERV's CP entry) a read key ALL,
anonymous FTP to albany.edu/piporg93 will allow a user to reach these
files.  (Note:  ALBNYVM1 == albany.edu .)

Finally, for WWW access using Rick Troth's Webshare, we need to add to
LISTSERV 1993 two files, as follows:

WEBSHARE FILELIST:

      HTBIN    *        *
      *        *        *  logs

and HTBIN FILELIST:

      MATCH    *CGI     *

Also, on the server's minidisk, PIPORG93 must be added to the list of
authorized CGI users in HTTPD CONFIG:

CGIUSERS=PIPORG93

With these in place, a URL reading

        1993 PIPORG-L archives </a>

will display a web page showing the names of available log files, any of
which, if selected, will retrieve the file itself.

I hope that I haven't overlooked any of the many pieces of this puzzle
nor introduced any extraneous elements.  Comments welcome.
                                             /b