Chris Lewis <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 3 Aug 1993 23:15:53 -0400
On Aug 3, 18:46, Dan Lester wrote:
}    Maybe, but the world is going the other way, towards the 'seamless web'.
} I still don't understand why the compiler/editor of the FAQ can't
} simply change something minimal, as  Ver. x.y  to Ver. x.z, or whatever
} works.  And add the wording 'unchanged since Ver. x.q' if appopriate.

Because the stated reason for these bounces is to prevent the list
from being deluged by systems that regurgitate the message many times.
This happens with ordinary articles, and a per-issue change in the FAQ
wouldn't help, because it's still the same issue.

} Hardly seems like a major problem.  Also, it seems patently ridiculous
} to repost the whole FAQ to the LIST.  Reposting to the newsgroup makes
} sense, so why not just send it directly to the newsgroup gateway address
} and not to the other list subscribers.  If they want a copy let them
} request the file from LISTSERV.
}    I'm aware that I might be missing something here, but it seems just
} too simple to be bothering Eric with silly hacks of LISTSERV.

You certainly are missing something.  Most FAQs are posted ONLY to
news.  Gatewaying to listservers is something that the FAQ writer
has absolutely no control over.

--
Chris Lewis; [log in to unmask]; Phone: Canada 613 832-0541
Psroff 3.0 info: [log in to unmask]