Paul Campbell <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 12 May 1993 19:46:36 EST
hi chris,

On Wed, 12 May 93 09:14:33 CDT you said:
>I am about to become a newsgroup moderator of a pre-exisiting Usenet
>newsgroup.  Do you have any suggestions as to what I should do to make
>my life a little easier?
>
>Here's the specifics: Currently, all the posts come in via mail to the
>moderator who scans through them, collects the 'good' ones, sends all
>the posts out together, and distributes (somehow) the posts to those
>people that read their news via email.  He's doing all this via a unix
>machine.
>
>Well, since I'm using VM/CMS (and NNR), his method and scripts won't do
>me alot of good.  I asked for suggestions from the MAILBOOK and
>NETNWS-L listserv lists, and a few people have suggested that I create
>a listserv list for the folks who get their posts via email, make it so
>that I am the only one that can send to the list (ie.  Send=Editor,
>[log in to unmask]) and add a tag in the header of
>Newsgroups=my.group.name (which, btw, I couldn't find documented
>anywhere).  My question is: how does LISTSERV know how to get the post
>into Usenet?  Nowwhere have I told it what or where to find our Usenet
>host.  Also, doen't moderated newsgroups have to have an "approved"
>tag on them - if so, how do I get that appended to the header?
>
>If it matters, we have NNR set up to use NNTP to read it's posts from
>another machine on campus (ie. there is no DVM to send the posts to on
>the local machine).

with release 1.3.2 nnr will allow a user to post to a moderated
newsgroup. on the posting screen you will notice an auxiliary
header line where the "Approved:" header could be suppled. it
is not currently setup in a way that will provide for production
management of a moderated newsgroup. what is needed is a way to
take a piece of mail from a notebook preserving pertinent header
information and prompt for the newsgroup.

let me look into the matter and get back to you off-line. /pc