"Juan M. Courcoul" <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 25 Feb 1992 16:53:42 CST
On Tue, 25 Feb 1992 12:35:16 EST <[log in to unmask]> said:
>  I had assumed that so long as the headers were left undisturbed,
>  the body of the mail can contain any text and the LISTSERVER
>  *will not* analyse/process it. But it does and if somebody can
>   explain why it is checking the body.

It BETTER do, otherwise you'll see below what great fun happens...

>   Below is an an example that (I think) is a perfectly valid mail
>   and yet it is rejected by the LISTSERVER.

Below is an example of a looped mail, which I've extracted from
VM-UTIL's logs. It dates, naturally, from before the LOOPCHECK code...
As you'll see, it also qualifies as "valid mail" from the point of view
of a mail parser not blessed with artificial intelligence. Note that the
subject text (which you may think could be used to detect the error)
varies from mailer to mailer (or gateway to gateway, or whatever). This
makes it extremely difficult to determine if a piece of mail is bona-fide
or a looper, without delving into the contents.

Also note that this particular piece of mail is taken from the middle of
the loop. It continued looping for about 8-9 additional rounds, with the
letter growing larger every time. Not nice, and not healthy for spool
systems... This would have continued until a list owner killed it, or
one of the systems directly in the loop crashed. That's the main risk
of mail loops, and that goes directly against network usage guidelines
(CREN NET_USE from LISTSERV@BITNIC, rfc1087.txt from nic.ddn.mil).

>  Or is there an alternate solutions from the Listserver side
>  (as opposed to user/Microsoft side of the problem cause it ain't easy).

Not surprised. One day, someday, microcomputer software in general will
attain the level of versatility, codewise, that mainframe software has.
Hopefully, at the same time, mainframe software will attain the level of
user-friendliness that microcomputer software has... ;)

I am surprised, however, that this problem crops up with Microsoft code.
Given the responsiveness they have displayed to user demands, it's odd
that a problem like this still persists. I strongly urge you to call
their number (probably present in the program's warranty card) and let
them know of this deficiency.

Juan

P.S. Also, note that had I gotten a loop example from LSTSRV-L and
     tacked it at the end, my mail would have also gotten rejected
     (come to think of it, this may ALSO get rejected anyway).

----- Evil, nasty, looped mail from ornery .UK mailer follows -------