Eric Thomas <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 4 Nov 1991 17:25:37 +0100
On Mon, 4 Nov 1991 08:49:12 GMT Don Barker <62623@UCDASVM1> said:

>   We have  noticed that mail sent  to the listserver via  profs becomes
>indented by one space when the note is finally distributed.

Yours wasn't indented.

>   Also we  use the forward  facility in Profs  a great deal.  What this
>does is include  the prior notes and  send it along with  your reply. If
>the listserver  sees the same Send:  or Reply: name further  down in the
>notes it will not send out the note since it expects to get into a loop.
>Has anyone modified this facility to  allow a Profs forwarded note, with
>the same listname be sent to the same list?

This would  be a bad thing.  It is both  impolite and a waste  of network
bandwidth  to forward  an entire  copy of  the original  posting back  to
hundreds of people  (who might not even be interested  in this particular
topic), just because  you want to reply to it.  Imagine what would happen
to the size  of the average posting  if everyone was doing  that: after 5
iterations, you'd  have to skip  through a  few hundred lines  of already
posted text to discover that the  actual contents were "I agree with this
new version of the proposal".  Many operating systems impose restrictions
on the maximum amount of data in a user's mailbox; imagine how a VMS user
would feel  if private mail had  been rejected because of  20 PROFS users
having  an argument  on a  list he  subscribes to,  and having  generated
thousands of lines of junk mail overnight.

>          Reduce, Reuse, Recycle ... Use Electronic Mail.

Precisely: reduce the volume of included  junk material that the user has
already seen and may retrieve from the server again if he lost it.

  Eric