Harri Salminen <LK-HS@FINHUTC>
Wed, 10 Dec 86 19:56:23 FIN

  The change on arpanet list distribution to use listservs is going
on quite wild and unorganised right now. I have over 60 distribution
lists now of which about 40 are originally from arpanet. More and
more are now being peer linked, each one on a different configuration
of listservs which needs individual attention. I think we should form
a backbone network of listservs redistributing every possible arpanet
list (maybe even others). This would need several volunteers spread
all over EARN/BITNET and everybody should be able to use full 8
character names without limits like $, -L... for consistent naming scheme.
The naming isn't that hard if you get down to DO it. I've already those
40 names and each member of the backbone administrator would provide his
share of new names and listheaders. That way most of the work would have to
done only once with minimal time spent on individual lists.
The load can't be too high  for lines or the CPU even relay is using more CPU
at least... We could make a new list for distributing new headers e.g.
BONEHEAD, LISTBONE, LISTHEAD or the like :-) Installation of new
lists on the backbone should be quite fast because everybody could
use the same headers or do the same keyword modification.
I changed one keyword on every list of mine with a single exec, and stored
them all with an other :-) Maybe this should be better integrated and
automated like newgroup messages in Usenet netnews which create new
newsgroups automatically, only if you insist you can check them manually
first... Anyway, I will  volunteer as a northern Europe backbone if
we get enough others.

Harri Salminen, systems analyst
Helsinki University of Technology Computing Centre alias HUTCC alias TeKoLa
Paper datagrams:        | BITNET:  LK-HS@FINHUTC
Otakaari 1              | UUCP:    hks@santra  (...mcvax|santra|hks)
02150 Espoo             | EAN:     [log in to unmask]
Finland                 | FUDEC:   OPMVAX::SALMINEN
Voice Virtual Ciruit:   | ARPA:    [log in to unmask]
+358-0-4512632          | CSNET:   Real Soon Now...
"Virtually, I don't work, I just netWORK :-)"