Harri Salminen <LK-HS@FINHUTC>
Tue, 30 Dec 86 19:42:22 FIN

Include would be a good feature which should be available on the filelists
too... List and review commands should be renewed to filter out
unnecessary information like most of the keywords etc. List long is
already too long (mine about 2500 lines) and will be much longer when we
have all ARPA mailing lists unless we do something about it.
I think there should be maybe four types of list command:

  - Short:   Only listname and the long name. (No use for those ownerids
             there, I haven't got any direct subscription letters, and
             long descriptive names would help people to select lists
             for a more thorough REView).

  - Normal:  List more detailed descriptions and possibly includes, these
             could be e.g. lines beginning with *+. Maybe lines
             beginning with *- could be considered as that 'global'
             part of headers modified with distribute, although I'd still
             like to have Keywords settable through commands because
             they are a part of the machine readable enviroment not
             something for aesthetic outlining experiments or the like.

  - Header:  List only headers without comments, usefull for administrators.

  - Everything:  Give evererything that's possible because that's what he wants

  - listname: same as the new REView (Local...

Review command could be changed to give as a default a LOCAL full description
of the list with headers but not the subscribers (what the normal subscriber
does with 200 addresses?) A FULL option would send also the subscriptions.
ALL option would distribute the command to peers. HEADER option would
send only the headers as in the List command. Keywords could be formatted
in a standard way in 2 or 3 columns if there's enough space on the line.

And I'm still waiting for separate filelists for each mailing list. Notebook
filelist is already growing at enourmous speed :-(

Harri