Natalie Maynor <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 21 Sep 1993 23:25:37 GMT
[log in to unmask] (John F. Bacon) writes:

>  It seems to me that the best solution would is a mailing list
>mirrored as a USENET news group.  Then the messages can easily be handled
>by both groups of people.
>Does anyone have any advice?

My experience has been that it works fine.  One slight risk is that if
the majority of active participants are reading and responding on
usenet, the people still getting it as mail will be left behind in
the discussion -- since the usenet people will be seeing each other's
postings before the regular subscribers do.  (It also can work the
other way -- if the gateway is down, the list discussion goes on,
leaving the usenet people stuck with just each other.)  With a list
as quiet as the one you're talking about (I find it hard to think of
5-20 messages a day as "fairly active"!), there should be no problem.

When reading one of the bit.listserv lists on usenet, you can reply
either way, btw (unless the list is not "send=public").  I read your
posting on usenet and am using nn's F (reply) command, but I sometimes
read on usenet and send the reply by e-mail instead.
 -- Natalie ([log in to unmask])