"Peter M. Weiss" <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 15 May 1996 07:58:20 EDT
In article <[log in to unmask]>, Roger Fajman
<[log in to unmask]> says:

>Seems logical to me.  When someone writes from a BITNET address to an
>Internet address, the user@node address will be rewritten as
>[log in to unmask] when the message passes through the
>BITNET-Internet gateway.  Thus LISTSERV will not recognize it as the
>same address as [log in to unmask]
>
>If they email from the Internet address of the BITNET node, LISTSERV
>will recognize the equivalence only if there is an appropriate
>:internet tag in the BITEARN NODES entry for the node.

No Bitnet/Internet gateway was involved.  Both hosts are on the
sames networkS: Bitnet and Internet.  The Bitnet mail was
delivered w/ NO mailer; Internet used the MAILER support at the
target LISTSERV host.  There was/is an appropriate :INTERNET tag
-- it had not changed in years, only the addition of :NEWNODE.
That's when things "broke."

E-mail commands from the remote owner from either Bitnet or
Internet to LISTSERV then failed!

Changing to OWNER= userid@fqdn (the :Internet equivalent of the
remote Bitnet host) allowed list-owner commands to work from the
remote _Bitnet_ host (and presumably from the Internet).

/Pete Weiss at Penn State