Stan Horwitz <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 6 Apr 2000 17:51:06 -0400
Thanks Nathan for the info about DBRINDEX. My Unix system (which is pretty
much dedicated to Listserv has 2GB of RAM installed and dual CPUs.
Listserv has access to all of it plus 1GB of VM. The kernal configuration
also grants plenty of memory and other resources to processes.

Even so, the Listserv here drops core due to a lack of available memory at
least three or four times per week. Listserv seems to always be generating
indexes for any of the 2000+ lists we host whenever a core dump occurs.
Fortunately, we wrapped the lsv program in a monitoring program that
simply starts it back up when it fails. Even so, I still want to prevent
these core dumps from occurring in the first place. This is why I have
decided today to try running with "DBRINDEX=0" to see if that cuts down or
eliminates the core dumps.

The documentation you just provided says that enabling reverse indexing
does not make a big difference in the type of environment in which I am
running Listserv. If that's the case, then my turning off reverse indexing
should not end the core dumps that this Listserv generates, however, I
figure I have no reason not to give it a try to see what happens.

Thanks