"Eric Thomas (CERN/L3)" <ERIC@LEPICS>
Tue, 7 Feb 89 14:08:12 GMT
I have received about 85 replies to the  survey so far. First, I would like to
encourage ALL BITNET/NetNorth  maintainers to answer the survey,  as there are
presently much  more EARN  answers than BITNET  ones, and we  run the  risk of
having too little BITNET answers to get a significative view of the opinion of
BITNET people.

I would like  to start a discussion about  some of the plans I  am starting to
think about; I need to collect opinions and impressions that cannot fit into a
survey with  numeric replies, and  for this I would  like to use  the LSTSRV-L
list  only. I  am  sending a  copy  of this  note to  EARNTECH,  but I  invite
interested  EARNTECH people  to join  the LSTSRV-L  list and  to continue  the
discussion there, in order to avoid cross-posting.

As a matter of principle, I do not want to disclose too much about the results
of the survey before it is closed.  However, we are not electing the President
of the InterGalactical Forces, and I need  to give you some background so that
you can understand my concerns.

I will probably not surprise anybody if I say that, on the average, people are
quite satisfied with  the services provided by LISTSERV today,  and that there
is a clear majority  of people who want to keep things the  way they are today
(this holds  true regardless of  the "category" - EARN,  non-EARN, maintainer,
user). However, and  as I expected, there  is no clear "winner"  or "loser" in
the other  3 choices (sell to  EARN, to BITNET,  make into a product):  it all
depends on the "category" you are looking  at, and even so the differences are
not so big.

Clearly, from  the technical point  of view, solution  1 (keep things  the way
they are) is the  most satisfactory, and it is also the  one that the majority
wants. Well, I  may end up doing  just that, but it doesn't  solve the problem
unfortunately. None of the other solutions is entirely satisfactory either.

What I  noticed while browsing  through the actual  replies (in an  attempt to
identify  typed "sub-groups"  of people)  is that  there is  a non-negligible,
strongly-typed minority of EARN users who answer in the following way:

- Quality of today's product: not satisfactory  (2-3 on all topics - remember,
  <3 = bad, 3 = neutral, >3 = good).

- Vendor  solution:   replies  vary,  but  usually   not  satisfactory  (0-3),
  especially if I am the one doing the maintenance.

- EARN solution: excellent idea (5), dramatic improvement of both software and
  maintenance quality (5), provided that I am not the one doing the work; if I
  am, the software will become completely useless (-5).

- BITNET solution: very bad (0-1).

- Recommended solution: sell to EARN.

- Time to rewrite the software: around 6 months of a type-3 programmer, actual
  cost depending  on the  country (taxes vary  a lot from  one country  to the
  other in Europe, and are generally much higher than in the States).

Clearly, these people think  that I'm doing a very poor  job of developing and
maintaining LISTSERV,  and that it  would be really  much better if  handed to
someone else.  They are not  satisfied with  the present functions,  which can
only mean that they would like LISTSERV  to be migrated to OSI. They know that
I will  not do it,  they know that  BITNET will not do  it, they doubt  that a
vendor would  do it  if he  can make  benefits with  the present  version, and
therefore they are so strongly advocating the "EARN without Eric" solution.

Now, this  is one of the  fundamental problems. EARN will  undoubtedly want to
migrate LISTSERV to VapourNet  protocols, there is no way I  will accept to do
it (at least not until the vapour  solidifies into palpable rock :-) ), and it
is politically unacceptable for EARN to be unable to perform this migration. I
would personally hate to prevent them from  doing that anyway, but it is clear
that I do not want to be involved  and that, once the code has been OSIfied, I
will no longer want to be involved its support.

Another fundamental requirement is that BITNET and NetNorth should not have to
suffer from the political nonsense that is going on in EARN. The only solution
I found so far would be to "split" the product, giving EARN something they can
work on and providing continuing service to BITNET+NetNorth, unaffected by the
EARN changes. I would like to hear your opinion on the following proposal:

The LISTSERV  product would be  "forked" into  two separate branches,  each of
which would  originally be the EXACT  SAME CODE (with cosmetic  changes to the
configuration files).

1. The first  one would retain the  name of LISTSERV, and would  have the same
   attributes as today's product. I  would keep developing and maintaining it,
   free of charge, in the way that I have been doing since the very beginning.
   This new LISTSERV would be available (both code and support) free of charge
   to BITNET and NetNorth ONLY.

2. The  second one would be  renamed to, say,  LISTEARN, and I would  issue an
   unlimited,  network-wide   license  to  EARN.  The   conditions  would  be,
   basically, that EARN is allowed to distribute the LISTEARN code to any EARN
   site and to use it for as long  as the sun shall rise, that EARN is allowed
   to make changes  to this code and  to distribute them in  the same fashion,
   but  that they  are  not allowed  to  sell  any of  the  code or  otherwise
   distribute it  to institutions outside  EARN. As  a matter of  principle, I
   would ask EARN for  some reasonable amount of money in  return, but this is
   irrelevant at this point. LISTEARN would be "owned" by EARN (with the small
   restrictions I mentioned above), maintained  by EARN through the EARN staff
   budget (not by me), and available free of charge to all EARN sites.

I would like to  insist on the fact that, when the "forking"  is done, the two
products are identical. That is, at t=0, LISTSERV == LISTEARN.

Another important  thing is that  I would  support LISTSERV but  not LISTEARN.
This should be very clear: any  question, problem or bug report about LISTEARN
would be sent back to its originator, with instructions to send it to whomever
EARN chooses  to maintain  LISTEARN. Whatever  happens to  LISTEARN is  not my
business, and if users are not satisfied with the quality of the product, they
should  complain  to   their  BoD  member  (who  is  the   normal  channel  of
communication for this kind of problems).

As far as  backbone and peering is concerned, LISTEARN  would be a "different"
type of  list server, in  much the  same way as  the BITNIC LISTSERV  was. The
LISTSERVs would not know about the  LISTEARNs, which might in fact evolve into
something that is no longer compatible with LISTSERV. Similarly, the LISTEARNs
will not  know about the LISTSERVs,  and we will have  two separate backbones:
one in the US+Canada, one in Europe. This  is of course not very good from the
technical point  of view, but  then that is exactly  what will have  to happen
anyway when EARN migrates to OSI  protocols, or when BITNET migrates to domain
naming, etc.

I am open to  suggestions on this topic. However please keep  in mind that any
solution you may propose has to meet the following requirements:

- Little or no impact to the LISTSERV service presently provided to BITNET and
  NetNorth; this includes continued LISTSERV maintenance and development.

- Ability for EARN to make whatever changes  they want to make to LISTSERV, in
  their  time  scale,  without  being  subjected  to  uncontrollable  external
  elements like the "so-called volunteers".

- Complete  removal  of my  involvement  and  responsibility insofar  as  EARN
  changes to the software are concerned.

- Respect of the results of the survey, which will be available on the 18th of
  february and on which we can only make assumptions for the time being.

Thanks for your time and involvement, Eric

PS: Remember - all future discussions to be held on LSTSRV-L only.