Herman Van Uytven <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 12 Dec 1994 10:26:47 +0100
Hello,

I wonder what load we would have if we would distribute internal
(to the University) documents via listserv;  the list would have
some 3000 users, and there would be a few posting/day.  For the
moment we have only 1 listserv (on VM), so there are no other listserv's
around to distribute the load.

I wonder :

1) will listserv group the mails for people within the same domain
   (all users have an E-mail address  [log in to unmask];
   there are some 50 xxx, with 1 to 800 users in an xxx).

2) Assuming that for each xxx only one or a few mails are send to lmail,
   will lmail keep them together when send to SMTP ?

3) What will SMTP do if it receives one RDR file with various RCPT TO
   lines ?  Will it receive only one file on disk, and send them
   in one 'stream'  (with more RCPT TO's in one connection,  or will
   it use RSET, or what will it do ?).

People told me that on UNIX sendmail+ida performs badly if we would
use listserv on UNIX for the same purpose.  zmail would performe better,
but we need sendmail+IDA for other purposes.  Would it be possible
to install e.g. zmail not listening on port 25 and use UNIX listserv
+ zmail to get the 3000 mails out as soon as possible ?

Any other ideas to distribute much mails with a minumum of load are
welcome.

-Herman-