Jacob Haller <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 16 Feb 2001 09:52:53 -0500
>Hello all,
>
>We have had a request from a list owner who would like to allow certain
>non-members to post to a list coded with send=private.
>
>I was just in the process of recommending that he subscribes the relevant
>addresses with NOMAIL and CONCEAL set so that nobody knows they are
>subscribed. When it struck me, can the FILTER= ALLOW keyword in the header
>override the Send= option ?

No.

>The only other way I could think of doing this was to enter the relevant
>addresses as Editor= but this would then mean switching the list to
>Send=editor, at least as far as I understand it, which would be undesirable,
>even if we did then allow all the members to override moderation.

You could do:

        Send= Editor,Hold
        Editor= your@address,(listname),other@addresses

A disadvantage here is that posts from nonsubscribers who are not
explicitly listed as editors would be forwarded to you for
confirmation.  Another is that editors are exempt from individual
posting limits and this setup essentially defines everone on the
mailing list as an editor so setting individual posting limits is not
possible with such a setup.

>So if a
>list is Send= private, could an editor in the list header still post to the
>list even if they are not a subscriber ?

No, that won't work.

Hmmm...I did a little testing and:

        Send= Private,[log in to unmask]

appears to work.