"James R. Gerland (UCS Postmaster)" <GERLAND@UBVM>
Wed, 25 Feb 87 09:25:19 EST
>If I'm stupid give me one on the head but ...
>JIM: the problem is  not that there is no Real Name  in the address but
>that there is not ANY valid E-mail address to reply to. In your case it
>would work  if I truncate POSTMASTER  to POSTMAST (if BITEARN  NODES is
>correct ...) -  but if there is  no POSTMAST account at  your site ....
>Christian

Sorry if I wasn't clear on this.  VMS allows userids >8 chars.  Jnet under
VMS handles this by sending the mail to the first 8 char match found in the
VMSMAIL.DAT file.  For this reason POSTMAST works.  Also because of this we
began limiting userids to 8 chars almost 2 years ago when we joined BITNET.
It is indeed a valid e-mail address but mey not end up at the userid you
intended unless that site has taken the same care with handing out their
userids.
Jim...