Leonard D Woren <LDW@USCMVSA>
Tue, 5 Apr 88 13:25:00 PDT
> From:         June Genis <[log in to unmask]>
>
> Another strange mailing from the ISO8859 list.  I note that I always
> seem to get these aberrations from BYUADMIN.  Warning, there are
> unprintable characters at the start of what follows.  I note that I
> always seem to get these aberrations from BYUADMIN.  Do you think
> there's a chance that something is flaky with their server or might
> there be something flaky in the setup of this particular list?
>
> /June

There's something flaky with the sender.  I got it also.  It's clearly
NETDATA.  Since I'm on MVS, it comes in as a file (where my version of
UCLA/Mail swallows it and tells me to RECEIVE it from an intermediate
dataset.)  RECEIVE undoes it just fine.  The correspondent in question
must be using TSO/E TRANSMIT to post to LISTSERV.  This is tacky in
itself.  Then LISTSERV redistributes the file, as is.  Is this
reasonable?  Would something like FILES=NO prevent this method of
contribution?

As an aside, this type of thing is one reason why I think that people
should get copies of their own postings, although in this case, it
might not help.  The guy probably doesn't have a mailer on MVS, and
therefore the only difference he would see with his own postings is
that they'd come back in NETDATA format which the RECEIVE command
likes, instead of PUNCH format which causes nasty messages from
RECEIVE.  I don't know what the answer to this problem is, except to
maybe send him a message asking him to not do it that way.

/Leonard