Valdis Kletnieks <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 22 Apr 2002 14:18:33 -0400
On Mon, 22 Apr 2002 13:18:22 EDT, Bill Verity <[log in to unmask]>  said:
> Running Listserv on an AIX system.  Currently all archives go into a single directory .../lists
>
> This is getting full and I don't have a single volume big enough to enlarge it.
>
> I'd like to move one set of lists to a different volume - say
> .../largelists.

We currently have a /home/listserv/notebooks, that has some 3,500+ subdirectories,
one per list.  Some things to remember:

1) AIX has LVM - so it's usually easy to just add another drive to a volume
group and grow the filesystem.  3rd party disks work just fine.  The only gotcha
here is if you manage to run out of SCSI addresses on older systems that may
only have 7 or 14 available addresses on one SCSI chain.

2) symlinks are your friend - if you can identify a high-volume list, you "should"
be able to do something like this:

for i in biglist-l.log9*;
do
    cp -p $i /path/to/largelists && (rm $i; ln -s /path/to/largelists/$i $i)
done

(using the && so the rm/ln only happen if the cp succeeded).  This should
work (with suitable globbing) for all the "back issues" without anything
being the wiser.  Don't try it for the current notebook though. ;)

/Valdis