Eric Thomas <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 24 Jul 90 19:03:24 O
>One of these programs is called "vacation".

I know, when I send mail to one  of my Unix colleagues I get an automatic
answer  saying   "/usr/staff/(...)/vacation:  segmentation   fault,  core
dumped" :-) The purpose of this message  is, of course, to inform me that
he is away until his VAX runs out  of disk space, at which time the angry
users will find him wherever he is  and he'll have to come back and clean
up the mess :-)

More seriously:

>A member of my  list told me that the vacation  program will not respond
>to mail that has a header with the field Precedence: bulk in it.

Look at your average non-BITNET distribution  list header, and see if you
find a 'Precedence: bulk' there. Chances  are that you won't; the program
does not create  problems for non-BITNET lists because  it doesn't answer
any message whose header contains '-REQUEST@' (but don't suggest that the
program be modified to ignore messages containing '-L@', you'd get burned
on a bonfire before you have time to finish your sentence).

The program will  also not answer any mail which  doesn't have the userid
of the  person running vacation  in the 'To:'  or 'cc:' field;  if you're
running 1.6  and the  user in  question is  subscribed with  a non-BITNET
address (which is extremely likely), he will get mail which does not have
his name in the 'To:' field and  the program should not answer, except of
course that there is an option  (by the intuitive name of '-j', "generate
as much  'j'unk mail as you  can"), telling it to  answer anything coming
into the user's mailbox; I suppose the  user in question made use of this
option.

Finally, vacation  nastygrams are by  default not  sent more than  once a
week; if you get  an answer for each posting, it  probably means the user
set the  delay to 1  second, telling the program  to make sure  to answer
each and every message in order to compensate for the decrease in traffic
due to the messages the user will not be writing during his vacations.

And the same  user will be more  than willing to explain  how LISTSERV is
violating  a huge  array of  internet standard  documents by  not putting
"Favourite-Ice-Cream:  Raspberry"  in  the  headers  it  generates,  thus
causing a lot of unwanted traffic.

>Is there a way to get LISTSERV  to include this field in the header that
>it produces when distributing list mail?

There is no way to do that, but if you install 16E-003O on your server it
will happily throw  away the second and following messages  from the user
in question;  in addition, if his  program is indeed set  up as explained
above to answer absolutely everything even  if an answer has been sent to
the same sender just  10 sec ago, it will start a  mail war with LISTSERV
which  will cause  him to  be served  off, and  any further  vacation (or
non-vacation) message from that user will be discarded.

  Eric