Dan Wheeler <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 22 Nov 2005 14:36:02 -0500
Tamer,

Stan has explained that you need to set up eight aliases for each list you create. But I think you are in need of some more basic explanations.

Tayea, Tamer wrote:
> Hi ,
>
> I am having a problem sending mail to [log in to unmask]
>
> I ran make aliases and added two lines for aliases that tells sendmail
> about listserv ...
>
> listserv: "|/usr/local/bin/lsv_amin /home/listserv/spool listserv"
> owner-listserv: "|/usr/local/bin/lsv_amin /home/listserv/spool
> owner-listserv"
>
> But I am getting this error when I try to send to [log in to unmask]

I'm assuming that you have installed LISTSERV on a machine at ecfmg.org. This machine has a specific name. I am going to assume that it is named "server2.ecfmg.org" but this is surely wrong. You will have to substitute your actual machine name (as defined by the entries in the name servers for your domain).

The aliases that you have added make it possible to send email to:

[log in to unmask]  and  [log in to unmask]

The [log in to unmask] address provides you with a way to communicate directly to the LISTSERV server. You should send a test message to this address with a simple command (for instance: thanks) to make sure it is working.

The next step is to create a test list, for instance one named first-test. Stan explained that you have to set up eight aliases for the list. You should also add yourself as a subscriber to the list. Then you can test it by sending a message to:

LISTSERV should send your message to all the subscribers (just you at this point).

I hope this helps.

                                    Peace,  Dan

=>  Daniel D. Wheeler - Education & Psychology, Univ. of Cincinnati
==>  Email: [log in to unmask]      URL: http://wheeler.uc.edu
===>  Teaching Human Rights Online: http://oz.uc.edu/thro
====>  KIDLINK: http://www.kidlink.org