Valdis Kletnieks <[log in to unmask]>
Sat, 18 Oct 2003 12:20:44 -0400
On Sat, 18 Oct 2003 11:09:01 CDT, Nathan Brindle <[log in to unmask]>  said:
> At 04:39 PM 10/17/2003 -0400, Bill Verity wrote:
> >Not knowingly.  So that's where the info is stored, I assume.
> >Looking through my backups, I see that permvars.file went from 4mb on
> >10/15 to 400kb on 10/16, so that probably explains what happened.
>
> Sounds to me like permvars.file got deleted somehow.  Since LISTSERV does
> not have code that would do that, something else must have done it.

My vote goes to an unnoticed 'disk full' causing the file to get truncated.
The 400K is the entries that have been updated since the disk full hit (yes,
there can be a lot of churn on some of it). The fun part is when the
listserv.log file is on the same disk/partition - then the error message
doesn't make it into the logs either.  Hopefully your kernel threw an error
into your syslogs, check there....