Options: Use Monospaced Font
Show Text Part by Default
Show All Mail Headers

Topic: [<< First] [< Prev] [Next >] [Last >>]

Print Reply
"Siksai, Anthony N (Noel)" <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 15 Sep 2003 07:03:42 -0600
text/plain (31 lines)
A list gets held for various reasons...I've held lists because of subscriber addresses causing mail loops that only I can release.  Usually it means the list's daily message allotment (threshold) has been exceeded and LISTSERV is now holding messages to the list.  This can be caused by SPAM, virus traffic (i.e. Sobig.F) and other such things.  Before releasing the list, check the LISTSERV spool (/var/spool/listserv on UNIX machines) and check the .jobh listings using jobview.  If they're all spam or virus traffic, it's best to move them out of the queue before freeing the list.  I usually check the queue first, then if I need to flush the queue, I stop LISTSERV (this can take a bit if there are lots of pending jobs), then move the .jobh files for the held list into a different queue (I use /var/spool/listserv.oops) then restart LISTSERV and then free the list.  After LISTSERV restarts, I monitor the log file for a bit so that I can see what's getting distributed to that list so that I can re-hold it if needed.  You should be able to free the list without admin assistance by typing "free <listname>" under the "execute a LISTSERV command" area of the web interface, however, if the hold was placed either by LISTSERV or the LISTSERV administrator, you won't be able to override it and free the list.  If you're not the administrator, I'd strongly caution you to check with the adminstrator prior to trying to free the list yourself.
Noel Siksai
A+, RHCE
Avaya Corporate Email and Directory
Email backbone, Mass mail, Mailing lists, POST Tier 2 Admin.
[log in to unmask]
248-746-5210 (v)
248-362-1618 (f)
248-321-5684 (cell)
248-591-8106 (pager)
[log in to unmask] (email to pager)
"Every society honors its live conformists and its dead troublemakers."-Mahatma Gandhi

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Monday, September 15, 2003 8:50 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Held List

What does is mean when a list is "Held" and how does a list owner
release the list?

--
Michael O'Neill
E-Mail Systems Administrator
Information Technology Unit
George Mason University
Fairfax, Virginia 22030