"Steven P. Roder" <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 17 Nov 1992 10:13:10 EST
On Mon, 16 Nov 1992 21:43:35 +0100 Eric Thomas said:
>............ The only problem is that the Internet recipients all fall on
>the same  host, and that can  be a problem  if that machine is  loaded or
>poorly connected. I wouldn't know - this is for Jim to judge.

I decided to just pick one of these posting, and try to reply to most of the
issues at once. Firstly, the Navigate list is a temporary animal.  Basically,
it is an Electronic Seminar on "how to use Internet Services".  The lessons
will be posted to the list, with replies sent to the list Editors.  If you
want a more complete description, then subscribe.  The Seminar begins on
11/18/92, at which time subscriptions will be turned off.  Once the Seminar
is complete, the list will be turned off.  Any amount of effort expended to
peer the list, or put it on some newsgroup, would be a wasted effort.

Jim's test posting, as reported here yesterday, went fairly smoothly.  We
do a couple of things here already that lessened the impact of this list.
LISTSERV@UBVM, as most of you might already know, uses MAILER_L and SMTP_L
for outgoing mail.  This separates all outgoing LISTSERV traffic from our
local traffic.  Of course, outgoing local listserv traffic is routed thru
our other mail pair, MAILER and SMTP.  Local service is excellent, no matter
what LISTSERV may be doing.  Also, since we have had problems with SMTP mail
delivery to a number of .MIL sites, all .MIL traffic is routed to a single
.MIL node, and then distributed to the rest of .MIL from there.  All of this
has been accomplished through changes to DOMAIN NAMES, and the MAILER PROFILE.
So, within a moments notice, I could very easily reroute entire domains of
mail to some host, but would rather not make changes for a temporary list,
unless absolutely necessary.  And, since I have 2 SMTP's, I can manually
transfer files form on reader to the other, splitting the host-load.

BTW, our channel-to-ethernet device is an 8232, and we have T1 to get off
campus (via NYSERNet).

Steve Roder
([log in to unmask] | [log in to unmask] | (716)645-3564