Ben Parker <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 17 Jun 2011 10:55:19 -0600
On Fri, 17 Jun 2011 11:13:59 -0500, "Elder, Scott" <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:

>I've received a question from a list subscriber about whether the unsubscribe notification that they received (below) is legitimate.  I do not believe it is, since the list in question is not configured to auto-delete subscribers.  But why would the subscriber have received this?  Can anyone shed some light on this?

That is the normal message that LISTSERV sends after an auto-delete.  It is
normally always sent to the deleted address precisely because, as the message
says: "It is never normal for a mail system to claim  that a valid, working
account does not exist,...".  If the message, as in this case does get
through, then there IS some kind of problem with the recipient's mail system
that needs to be looked into.  For example, perhaps their mail server is
blocking 'bulk' mail from your LISTSERV server for some reason, but accepting
individual emails.  There is nothing you can do about this except call it to
recipient's attention.

Also, since this message was sent, I would double-check the List
Configuration, especially the Auto-Delete settings.  You can verify whether or
not an auto-delete occurred by checking the LISTERV log file about the
date/time of the message.