"Mark R. Williamson" <MARK@RICE>
Wed, 1 Mar 89 16:20:22 CST
Under what circumstances will LISTSERV create a new header before the
existing header when forwarding submissions to the editor?  I had never
encountered this behavior on several lists for which I am the primary
editor, but the editor of an Internet list (which I am redistributing)
complains that he gets double headers whenever a submission is sent to
one of the BITNET/EARN peers instead of the Internet list address.

Is it the case that his location behind a mail gateway is what makes
the difference?  I can see that LISTSERV could forward the mail file
to me along BITNET paths, bypassing mailers along the way and so not
caring what the mail header says, but has to make the mail deliverable
through the gateway.  I suppose it is then easier for LISTSERV to
construct a new header from scratch than to weave Resent- lines into
the existing header.  Is that it?

An example follows, in case one is needed.

--Mark