Ben Parker <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 12 Jan 2009 16:56:43 -0700
On Mon, 12 Jan 2009 14:14:15 -0500, Melody Fleishauer <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:

>I have Listserv sending to a simple SMTP server.  There's no spam filter or
>anything on the SMTP server other than the SMTP program itself.

There are rules that all SMTP servers must obey.  For example, an SMTP server
must have a static IP address (not in the dynamic IP ranges of your provider),
a Fully Qualified Domain Name in DNS (A record), and a PTR (reverse lookup)
Record in DNS.  Further, the Fully Qualified Domain Name of your LISTSERV
server, if different from the name of the mail server, must also be in DNS.  At
minimum an A record is required, but an MX record is also advisable.  Lack of
any one of these items will likely get your emails classified as 'spam' by
many/most receiving mail servers.

>I know the answer but just need to verify that if the SMTP server logs say
>it sent the post to this recipient, then the reason for this error is on the
>receiving email address.

You should of course check the SMTP server logs, but the consistency of the
reported error suggests mail is not getting delivered at all but is being
blocked by one or more of the above matters not being right.