LISTSERV Listmaster <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 9 Sep 1997 19:34:07 -0400
Hi David,

> Dear Colleagues -- I am the postmaster for cmsa.berkeley.edu (which is
> also UCBCMSA.BITNET).  I have been receiving complaints about spam that
> is being routed through our site.

First make sure that it is actually being *routed* through your site.  I
have gotten similar complaints lately and have actually tracked the
problem to be spammers spoofing the listserv address.  If you look closely
at the spam messages you might find your listserv address there but beside
it you might see an IP address which isn't correct.  2 spammers for
instance decided to spoof the listserv address when sending out a message
to the entire AOL member list.  Needless to say I got a lot of bounces to
our listserv address even though we didn't actually send out any of those
messages.

Good luck with the problem.  Let me know what you come up with.

Jonathan Ohayon
University of Toronto LISTSERV Maintainer ([log in to unmask])