nansie cleaveland <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 20 May 1996 09:37:51 -0600
Please help!

I am trying to find a host for a listserv on which to discuss the writings
of Laura Ingalls Wilder, author of the Little House series of books. There
is great interest in the series worldwide, and students in the fourth grade
in the United States have studied Mrs. Wilder's writing since her books were
first published in the 1930s.

For over five years I have been a part of various email groups discussing
the Little house books. We feel that there is interest enough to support a
listserv, but those of us who have searched for a host have been
unsuccessful in finding one. Mart Hoag, of the North Dakota Higher Education
Computer Network, suggested that I write to you.

Mrs. Wilder was born in Wisconsin just after the Civil War and travelled
with her pioneering family to Indian Territory in Kansas, where they
homesteaded on land belonging to the Osage Indians. She later lived in Iowa,
Minnesota, and South Dakota, before moving to southern Missouri with her
husband and daughter, Rose Wilder, who when grown, became the highest paid
woman writer of the 1920s.

Mrs. Wilder wrote her Little House books to tell children what it had been
like to "have seen it all" - from her early life in the Big Woods to the
early railroad camps of South Dakota, through blizzards and grasshopper
plagues. Her books have won numerous awards throughout the years, and are
even more in demand than ever. There was also a popular television series
based on the Little House books, which is still shown in reruns today. We
would like to discuss the *writings* of Laura Ingalls Wilder, not the tv
show, however.

Mrs. Wilder's papers are housed at the University of Missouri at Columbia,
which I feel would be the ideal site for a listserv host, but I have not
been able to locate anyone there who could help me.

I am hopeful that you will know how to locate a host for such a listserv.
Any help or suggestions you can offer will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
Nancy Cleaveland "[log in to unmask]"

The Laura Ingalls Wilder web site at:
http://webpages.marshall.edu/~irby1/laura.htmlx
...has been awarded the Educational Site of the Week award for the week of
May 15, with over 4000 visitors to the site since April 29, 1996.