Chris Rowan <[log in to unmask]>
Sat, 23 Jan 1993 23:58:38 -0600
I'm trying to find out how to set up a mail list for participants in the
International Student Space Simulation (ISSS), a non-profit organization
formed to promote one of the most dynamic, exciting, and powerful teaching
tools ever conceived:  Space Simulations.  ISSS combines the universal
appeal of space with current educational theory to create an
interdisciplinary, activity based, problem solving program which
challenges students' abilities and fuels their imaginations.  In ISSS
students are asked to research, design, and build a simulated space
habitation and all necessary life support systems, vehicles and
communication systems to then carry out a simulated mission.

There are currently over 30 ISSS participants worldwide, with most inside
the continental United States.  We at Morningside Elementary in
Brownsville, Texas, are trying to coordinate our simulation with the one
at Travis Elementary in Conroe, Texas.  Conroe is where the ISSS started.
It was developed by Jerry Bernhardt in Conroe and has grown to include
schools in Alaska, Arizona, Colorado, Florida, Georgia, Iowa, Illinois,
Indiana, Kansas, Louisiana, Minnesota, Montana . . . The list goes on and
on.  There are about 7 schools in Texas participating, and I'd like to try
to tie them together via TENET.

The initial purpose of the list would be for ISSS participants to
communicate with each other.  Once inside the habitat, the astronauts do
not come out again for several days.  Their only link to the outside world
is provided by modem-equipped computers and video monitors (no sound).
Messaging other ISSS participants would lessen feelings of isolation and
loneliness.  They would also be able to exchange ideas and brainstorm
solutions to problems.  More sophisticated uses could be implemented
later, such as multiple Mission Control sites.

I do not believe that something of this nature would word well on a
newsgroup because of the personal nature of some (most?) of the messages.
There is also a lot of language that only an ISSS participant would
recognize or understand.  What we need is some way to send mass e-mail.
If a message is send to a specific address, then all subscribers to that
list get that particular message.

Isn't that what a mail list _is_?

PLEASE help me!!  Our launch date is set for February 17.  I have assured
Mr. Bernhardt that I would do all I can to create an electronic mail list.

Just FYI, I teach 6th grade at Morningside Elementary in Brownsville,
Texas.  The Internet is quite a challenge for me, so I would appreciate
any help you could provide in this endeavor of ours.  As I understand it,
I must first secure a host, like [log in to unmask]  Then, I'm
supposed to send a description of the list to [log in to unmask],
right?  If I'm wrong, please tell me!!

        Best regards,
        Chris Rowan