Eric Thomas <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 7 Jan 1994 16:44:33 +0100
On Fri, 7 Jan 1994 08:58:29 EST Nick Laflamme <[log in to unmask]>
said:

>Or maybe you  want LISTSERV to send  the token and remember  the note so
>the editor always sends the token back, not the note, but the editor has
>the note so s/he can discuss it with the original author if needed?
>
>1) user sends note to list
>2) LISTSERV sends note and token to moderator
>3) moderator echoes token to LISTSERV
>4) LISTSERV distributes note (which it had kept a copy of)

This would not work because the editor would lose the ability to edit the
message. One  would really  need the  long procedure. It  is not  easy to
implement because  the existing token code  is based on the  execution of
commands, not on resuming the distribution of a message. I can't think of
any reliable way to  have the editor return a usable  copy of the message
with the  token (by "reliable"  I mean something  that works with  99% of
mail interfaces, including  those that don't give the user  access to the
header). So  the editor would have  to send mail to  the LISTSERV address
with a confirmation command, rather than  sending the message to the list
again with (say)  an extra header line containing  the confirmation code.
This in turn means LISTSERV has to save the message until it is confirmed
and manage the disk space properly to  avoid abuse. Indeed, it is quite a
lot of work.

  Eric