Ben Parker <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 21 Dec 2004 16:01:58 -0700
On Sat, 18 Dec 2004 04:33:45 -0800, "Stephen C. Nill"
<[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>Yet, at Subscriber's Corner, at
>http://charitychannel.com/collaborate/wa.exe?REPORT&z=3, selecting the All
>Lists view does not yield a view of any of our public lists.  It will only
>yield lists to which the subscriber is subscribed, provided the subscriber
>is logged in.

To create a list of lists publicly visible, you need to create a brand new
template called (exactly)  "VISIBLE-LISTS"

Go to LISTSERV Server Mgmt page.
In the "Site Customizations" section,
  Click on "Site-Wide Dynamic Web Templates"
in the lower window  "Create a new template"
  enter the template name from above, click 'Create'.
  Enter a description (Publicly Available lists)

Then, for the template contents, enter the listname(s) you want available to
the public and a _short_ description of each list.  Here is what I have on my
server:

AQUATICS-DAC  Aquatics in Denver Area Council
ARAPAHOE-INFO  Arapahoe District (DAC) Information
CENTENNIAL-INFO Centennial District (DAC) Information
DENSCOUTS General DAC Information (includes all District Info lists)
DPRV-L Des Plaines Valley Council (IL)
GATEWAY-INFO Gateway District (DAC) Information
SHOOTING-SPORTS-DAC Shooting Sports in Denver Area Council
VALLEY-INFO Valley District (DAC) Information
VENTURING-DAC Venturing in Denver Area Council

The corresponding subscribers corner link for my site is

<http://listserv.besteffort.com/scripts/wa.exe?REPORT=&n=&m=&a=maybe&s=&X=&Y=&z=3>

This is all that the public (non-subscribers) can see.  Subscribers
(not-logged-in) will see the same.  Subscribers (logged-in) will see these and
also any other non-public lists to which they may be subscribed.  (Subscribers
can always see lists they are subscribed to, List-Owners can always see lists
they are owners of, and Site Maintainers can always see all lists on the site,
per normal LISTSERV security mechanisms.)

Note that the Site Maintainer must manually update this VISIBLE-LISTS template
as new public lists are created.  Such updating cannot be supported
automatically as it would be a violation of security.

The problem with all of this (I agree that it is not well documented) is that
automatic population of this page requires the cgi script "wa" to execute the
LISTSERV command "LISTS".  However, "wa" (by itself) runs with the security
privileges of a non-subscriber and the answer to the LISTS command for
non-subscribers, non-owers, non-administrators has been disabled since
LISTSERV version 1.8b for anti-spam reasons.  Thus "wa" cannot get a 'list of
lists' unless/until the Site Maintainer (who has the power to know what lists
can safely be revealed) defines them in this template.  In a new installation
(or an upgrade from nearly all 1.8e installations) this template was never
populated and does not exist natively, thus must be created and populated to
function as desired.

The following comments in the Header of the REPORT-MAIN template are the only
documentation I know of about this feature.