Thu, 13 Dec 1990 02:11:57 CST

>Hi,
>I've read  your announcement to  NEW-LIST of the info-gnu-msdos  list (I
>think that the list could be  rather interesting). What worries me a lot
>is  the  fact  that  you  decided to  call  your  LISTSERVER's  username
>LISTSERV. I  think that most people  might get confused, and  think that
>it's "THE"  LISTSERV (written  by Eric Thomas,  currently <ERIC@SEARN>).
>It's not a  question of "honor" (I  don't think it's ethical  to use the
>same name,  but I'm not the  ethics-supervisor; as for copyrights  - I'm
>not certain), but a practical question.  A whole network (BITNET and the
>associated NETNORTH and EARN) are using LISTSERV and a derivative of it,
>and they  have many commands,  and the syntax  (and even name)  of these
>commands  is  different  from yours.  I believe  that the  best solution
>would be that  you change the username of your  listserver. I'm appending
>the help  files of your  listserver, for the  benefit of the  readers of
>LSTSRV-L (the  mailing list for  discussion of LISTSERV issues)  to whom
>I'm  sending a  copy  of this  message,  as I  believe  they might  have
>interest in this matter.
>
>Regards,
>/Zvika

[help file deleted]

If it were up to me, the wugate listserv would work as closely to the
bitnet listserv as possible.  That may in fact someday be the case,
since the current version is going to be completely replaced by
another version someday.  The author has not stated whether he will
make it compatible.  -David-

# [log in to unmask]             ^     Mr. David J. Camp
# [log in to unmask]    < * >   +1 314 382 0584
# ...!uunet!wugate!wubios!david      v     "God loves material things."