Chris Barnes <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 12 May 1993 09:14:33 CDT
I am about to become a newsgroup moderator of a pre-exisiting Usenet
newsgroup.  Do you have any suggestions as to what I should do to make
my life a little easier?

Here's the specifics: Currently, all the posts come in via mail to the
moderator who scans through them, collects the 'good' ones, sends all
the posts out together, and distributes (somehow) the posts to those
people that read their news via email.  He's doing all this via a unix
machine.

Well, since I'm using VM/CMS (and NNR), his method and scripts won't do
me alot of good.  I asked for suggestions from the MAILBOOK and
NETNWS-L listserv lists, and a few people have suggested that I create
a listserv list for the folks who get their posts via email, make it so
that I am the only one that can send to the list (ie.  Send=Editor,
[log in to unmask]) and add a tag in the header of
Newsgroups=my.group.name (which, btw, I couldn't find documented
anywhere).  My question is: how does LISTSERV know how to get the post
into Usenet?  Nowwhere have I told it what or where to find our Usenet
host.  Also, doen't moderated newsgroups have to have an "approved"
tag on them - if so, how do I get that appended to the header?

If it matters, we have NNR set up to use NNTP to read it's posts from
another machine on campus (ie. there is no DVM to send the posts to on
the local machine).

Thanks in advance

Chris Barnes            |   President - Bryan/College Station
[log in to unmask] |         Retriever Club
(409) 846-3273 (home)   |   "Dedicated to the betterment of
(409) 845-8300 (work)   |               the retrieving breeds"