Eddy Young <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 2 Jan 1998 00:28:13 +0400
Erez,

Sorry to jump in.  I read your post on the LSTSRV-L list, and seized the
opportunity to ask for advice.

I, too, am trying to get a couple of mailing lists up and running.  My
problem is that I cannot get people to subscribe.  Though the lists seem
helpful (for instance, debates on online communities in my country,
making friends online, discussing programming issues, etc.), people do
not subscribe.  I believe there is something I should be telling them in
order to arouse their interest.  I've even tried comparing newsgroup
with mailing lists, highlighting the advantages of the latter, but to no
avail.

I would, therefore, be most grateful if you could give me a few tips and
advices.  I addressed to you because I see your list has many
subscribers.

Now, I'll be proposing a solution.  Is your list based on a simple email
client?  How do you do it?  Do you copy the recipients' addresses in the
BCC field?

If that's the way you're doing it, I'd like to suggest that you try to
get FTGate, which is a mail server for Win95 and running over dial-up
connection.  Besides serving as local mail server it also has mailing
list capability, though limited.  I'm using it here on free email
accounts available from www.hempseed.com, and I find it quite useful.

Besides, you could check www.davecentral.com for low cost solution to
running a mailing list.  I'd suggest looking in Email > Email Servers.
One name I have in mind right now is SLMail besides FTGate.

I hope to have been of some help and look forward to your reply.

Regards,

Eddy Young

P.S. Could you please try querying my listserver by sending mail to
[log in to unmask]  This would help me check that it is running
fine and it would give you an idea of what FTGate is like.