"John M. Roraback, Ph.D." <[log in to unmask]>
Sun, 16 Feb 1997 01:30:30 -0500
Try the TOPICS option. with TOPICS you can create a "sub-group" of
subscribers who receive mail under a particular TOPIC, while the rest of the
subscribers do not.

To do this, add  "TOPICS= WG1" (no quotes) to your lists's header ("WG1"
standing for "Work Group 1"), and have the sub-group of subscribers working
on the project post all their mail to your list with the preface in the
Subject line "WG1:" (no quotes).

You will also need to add to your list's header  "Default-Topics= Other" (no
quotes)

Before starting to use the TOPIC, send the command:

SET [Listname] TOPICS= -WG1 for *@*

This will set all subscribers to the condition of not receiving the TOPIC
"WG1" - when you add a TOPIC to a list which already has subscribers, all
subscribers will receive all TOPICS unless the option is deselected.

Then have all those interested send the comand:

SET [Listname] TOPICS= +WG1

This will cause LISTSERV to send all postings labeled with this TOPIC to
those who have so selected the TOPIC. All other will never even see these
postings.

You can also attach files to these postings which others on the list will not
be bothered to have to download. You must, of course, change the header to
"FILES= yes".

You can add up to 11 TOPICS, plus the "Other" category for unlabeled
postings.

good luck,

  John

 John M. Roraback, Ph.D.