Richard Leyton <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 10 May 1996 16:15:07 EST
     Dear LISTSRV administrators,

     I'd like to ask, if I may, if there is a list server administrator who
     is prepared to act as host for a very low volume mailing list.

     If you offer a chargeable service, or do not support external lists,
     you may safely disregard the remainder of this e-mail.

     The purpose would be for announcements and discussion relating to a
     piece of software I have authored, which I am preparing to release
     under the GNU public license.

     The piece of software (named "LEAP") is a small relational database
     management system, originally written in Pascal for MS-DOS, but has
     now been converted to 'C', and runs (in its current form), on Linux,
     Solaris and NeXt machines (so far!).

     For more information on the system, I've set up a www page, which you
     might wish to visit if you're interested:

     http://www.brookes.ac.uk/~e0190404/leap.html

     I do not expect the volume to be high, because the system is
     principally an educational tool. As so far it is in use by Oxford
     Brookes University, UK, and Auckland University, New Zealand, as well
     as a number of other establishments around the world, for various
     purposes, including teaching relational concepts, to implementing new
     features.

     A fair bit of interest has been generated over the last few months
     with LEAP, and I've been maintaining an manual e-mail list for just
     this purpose. I'd like to move it to an automated service to ease my
     task and to make it more detached from me (People don't want to write
     to me necessarily to get information), in addition, I anticipate more
     interest from the forthcoming GNU license release (Only the binary has
     been distributed so far).

     I look forward to hearing from you in the near future.

     Regards,

     Richard Leyton.

     PS. I should add that I did consider setting up my own mailing server,
     but unfortunately discovered that I am not permitted by my companies
     internet use regulations, to maintain a mailing list  :(  Your help
     would be much appreciated.

     PPS. I should also add that LEAP is a purely personal project, and not
     in any way related to my work, or my company.