Eric Thomas <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 17 Jun 1991 13:50:43 +0200
One of  the reasons why  the X-DEL  problem got out  of hand is  that the
people at  FRORSxx had  installed an  RSCS filter  right after  the first
storm to  discard the  jobs. Well,  the filter did  reject the  jobs, but
instead  of  discarding them  it  forwarded  them  back to  LISTSERV  for
reprocessing. So you had a machine  on the network generating new jobs as
fast as the spool could take it  (as you can imagine, the machine quickly
ran out of spool  space). I notified the EARN office people  as soon as I
found out,  on sunday, but unfortunately  nothing can be done  without an
intervention from the FRORSxx staff. Unfortunately, there is nobody there
on sundays, and apparently  the person in charge of VM  is not here today
either. Fortunately, both  of their systems seem to have  crashed and are
thus not sending any more jobs (we  can't even telnet to there any more).
Anyway  that is  the  status -  let's  hope someone  will  show up  there
tomorrow so we can get this problem fixed...

  Eric