"Brad S. Carson" <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 27 Jan 1993 13:55:27 EST
With the changes going on in the North Carolina State network (NCSUVM's
removal in March and UNCVM1's this summer) ECUVM1's MAILER and LISTSERV
traffic has increased dramatically (can you say over 2000%).  Needless
to say our little 4381 is a very busy machine now.

It has been suggested to us that we change our :BACKBONE entry in the
PEERS NAMES file from ":BACKBONE.YES" to ":BACKBONE.YES DISTRIBUTE(NO)".
I believe that doing this will not relieve the load on our system, but
because of the settings of the :LINKS in BITEARN NODES it will increase
the traffic on our system because someone else's LISTSERV will have to
to the DISTRIBUTE work for us.

My question is: Can someone really explain to me (in detail) the differences
between BACKBONE.YES and BACKBONE.YES DISTRIBUTE(NO)?

Thanks in advance for any and all help.

Brad S. Carson                       Bitnet  :  SSBSC@ECUVM1
Systems Programmer (VM, MVS & VMS)   Internet:  [log in to unmask]
East Carolina University             NASCOMM :  CarsBraS
Austin Building Room 108             Bellnet :  (919) 757 - 4346
Greenville, NC 27858