Marty Hoag <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 2 Apr 2009 16:56:07 -0500
    I haven't seen it for years but in the old days
when SMTP was "new" the duplication would sometimes
happen if the sequence of closing the connection
was interrupted.

    There was even an RFC on this! RFC 1047, "DUPLICATE
MESSAGES AND SMTP" from 1988. Of course your problem could
differ but if you are curious see
    http://tools.ietf.org/rfc/rfc1047.txt

    I'm not sure why this would show up on messages
with external recipients (or blocks but each one is a
message with up to 100 RCPT TOs). However, lots has
changed since 1988 - there were usually no spam/virus
scanners and such - so maybe something else is creating
a similar effect. There was also one firewall that did
funky things that caused duplicated e-mail as I recall.
But that too was a long long time ago.

    Of course this may not be the cause of the problem
here but it was fun to reminisce about the old days. ;-)

    marty