Valdis Kletnieks <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 30 Aug 2005 15:42:59 -0400
On Tue, 30 Aug 2005 13:35:16 EDT, =?iso-8859-1?Q?Jean_B=E9dard?= said:
> We thought of doing something similar, but then how could we scan
> mail composed directly in LISTSERV's Web interface? Or can we direct it to a
> specific mail server that can do the scanning?

And the last time you saw a virus that can do this was when, exactly? :)

Think about it.  For this to be a viable virus transmissions channel, either:

a) You need a virus that's smart enough to auto-post itself via the web interface.

b) You need a user to unknowingly attach a virus-infected file to a mail they're
composing, and recipients who are running operating systems designed with
viral propagation in mind *and* foolish enough to not have their own A/V software
that scans incoming files.

And virus-scanning in case (b) is pointless - the *big* threat is a rogue user
who *intentionally* uploads a phish or drive-by-fruiting spyware install that isn't
detected as a virus.....