Paul Russell <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 29 Jul 2002 12:06:22 -0400
Prior to the implementation of the superlist-sublist feature, we tried to
achieve similar functionality by subscribing lists to other lists, however,
we encountered all of the problems outlined in Pete Weiss' reply, and
several others which he did not mention. The superlist-sublist feature will
not eliminate all of the social problems, but it will eliminate most of the
technical problems.

You may still get complaints from  sublist subscribers who do not want to
receive superlist messages, but you will not get complaints about multiple
copies of the message being sent to addresses which are subscribed to two
or more lists in the superlist-sublist group.

The use of the superlist-sublist feature eliminates the risk that a message
will trip the LISTSERV spam filters simply because it was posted to a list
which has several other lists as subscribers. Try explaining that situation
to an academic department head who is trying to send a message to all
students in all sections of all courses offered by the department.

The use of the superlist-sublist feature eliminates the unnecessary
duplication of a single message in the archives of multiple lists, since
the message is stored only in the superlist archives.

--
Paul Russell
Senior System Administrator